As controllers continue to rise in popularity among consumers and DJs alike due to their ease-of-use and increased functionality, Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.’s Professional Sound and Visual Division continues to develop the most advanced controllers in the market and today introduced its latest DDJ-SX2 controller for Serato® DJ with “Serato Flip” functionality. The new DDJ-SX2 is the industry’s first controller to use Serato Flip, which can record and playback a user’s hot cue operations. In addition, the model features specially designed operation buttons, multi-colored Performance Pads, and improved JOG wheel reaction time.
“The release of our first generation DDJ-SX made a huge impact in the DJ community and we expect nothing less with this next version,” said David Arevalo, director of marketing, Professional Sound and Visual Division for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “The DDJ-SX2 features the latest updates, including Serato Flip capability, that enable DJs to be more creative with hot cues, as well as multi-colored Performance Pads found on the flagship DDJ-SZ.”
Serato DJ’s “Serato Flip”
Serato Flip is a new function in Serato DJ that lets DJs record hot cue combinations and replay them on a loop. DJs can record themselves triggering cues using the Performance Pads and automatically loop the sequence back on demand. Up to six recordings (slots) of Hot Cue sequences can be made for playback at a later time. Pioneer added Record (start/stop recording), Start (start/stop loop), and Slot (store) buttons to quickly access the Serato Flip operation.
The DDJ-SX2 provides the same functional layout of its predecessor with quick access to a multitude of Serato DJ features. The layout of the buttons, knobs, sliders and Performance Pads deliver the best DJ controller experience designed to match the applicable software functions perfectly:
- Multi-colored Performance Pads – Introduced in the top-of-the-line DDJ-SZ, the DDJ-SX2 now incorporates the highly attractive and functional multi-colored Performance Pads that control eight types of Serato DJ functions. The various illumination colors provide quick identification of the different actions/commands such as beats and drum rolls. The eight pads located below the Jog wheel offer HOT CUE, ROLL, SLICER and SAMPLER functionalities. While in velocity SAMPLER mode, the output level from the pad can vary depending on the strength of each tap from the user.
- Amplified MIC Input – Improved from the first generation, the controller features a balanced microphone technology (MIC) input circuit to provide clear audio output with no distortion regardless of the type or brand of microphone used. The controller can deliver clear audio even at high volume levels because of increased headroom and highly improved signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio.
- High Accuracy Jog Wheel – The output reaction time of the JOG wheels is significantly improved, further cutting down on latency, ensuring tasks such as “scratch” performances are at their highest levels. The model also features “Hot Cue Countdown” providing users, via its JOG Display, with the time remaining to a Hot Cue point, helpful in quickly arriving to a specified position in the music playing.
- 4-Channel Mixer – The DDJ-SX2 features an independent 4-channel mixer that can be used with other external sources such as turntables. Its master level meter provides instantaneous sound level adjustment as well as independent output controls with a display indicator for each channel when used as a standalone mixer.
The DDJ-SX2 features four external inputs for connection with CD players, analog turntables, microphones and more, with the ability to act as a stand-alone mixer (without the need to connect to a PC/MAC). The controller includes two Master Out and one Booth Out outputs for connection to external public address (PA) equipment. The DDJ-SX2 also features support for the Serato DJ DVS function. Users will have the ability to purchase Serato’s DVS Expansion Pack and perform Serato DJ deck control on the DDJ-SX2 with Pioneer CDJ players or analog turntables.
- High Quality Audio – A low-jitter clock and high-performance digital-to-analog converter (DAC) provide accurate and clear audio playback
- Slip Mode – While activated, Slip Mode silently continues song playback during a performance loop, scratch or hot cue and resumes audible playback when the loop, scratch, or hot cue operation is ended, creating smoother and more seamless transitions
- Aluminum Finish – The DDJ-SX2 sports an aluminum top panel and a brushed aluminum finish on the JOG wheels for optimal look and feel
- Multiple Connection Options – The DDJ-SX2 offers dual CD and phono/line inputs for external devices as well as two microphone inputs, two Master Outputs (XLR and RCA) and a Booth Out terminal
- Built-in Sound Card (audio interface)
- Needle Search – Users can immediately jump to a specific part of a music track with a simple touch of the Needle Search pad
- Adjustable Cross-fader Curve – Suits any type of mixing style
- Channel Fader Start – Enables use of the channel fader to control and play/cue tracks.
- Assignable Settings – Pioneer offers a TSI file for use with the Native Instruments TRAKTOR PRO2 software
The DDJ-SX2 will be available in October with a suggested retail price of $1,199.
The first 10,000 units of the DDJ-SX2 sold worldwide will be bundled with a free of charge license to the Serato Video plug-in (worth $149).