The ThinkPad Edge E500 is a budget business machine, bottom of the range for buyers looking to minimize investment. Of course ‘Business’ is a little meaningless assortment these days this laptop is no different from some entry level gaming laptop in terms of specs. Lenovo’s spokesman assured us that no such malware features in its business laptop loan stock.
The power inlet is Lenovo’s reversible USB style port. We’ve found an amazing that meant even with charger attached the battery is always charging. This can sap functionality more as the machine goes into battery saving mode.
There is a tray load DVD drive, which is removable, while the top deck follows the Lenovo template of IBM track-point and three real buttons, supplementing a button-less track-pad. The keyboard has tightly sprung ‘shield’ tiles, not as delicious as Lenovo’s usual but still a treat to type upon compared to many Windows laptops.
Lenovo has stinted on the display, fitting a budget TN panel with poor accuracy Delta E 10.0, low contrast 80:1 and limited color 60% sRGB. It has a mat finish to reduce reflections even though that will not help its restricted off axis visibility. There is no escaping the E500’s primary flaw this laptop is glacially slow in normal use.
Forget the benchmark numbers which only give guide to program processing speeds. Daily launching a program, saving a document, booting and rebooting, took geological time to complete. Plus, with the addition of products like the one found here http://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/raid-data-recovery, you can let go of any worries about potential losses of data.
- 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080 141 ppi TN flat anti-glare display
- Windows 7 Professional option for 8.1
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-5500U 3.0 GHz Turbo 2C, 4T
- AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series with 2 GB DDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 5500
- UK shaped tile keyboard with number-pad
- buttonless trackpad, 100 x 57 mm, with trackpoint and three buttons
- 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM
- 0.9 Mp webcam and built-in mic
- 3.5 mm headset jack
- 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
- gigabit ethernet
- 802.11ac, 1×1 MIMO Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
- Bluetooth 4.0
- DVD±RW, tray-load, removable
- 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
- HDMI, VGA
- Kensington Security Slot, fingerprint sensor
- SDXC card slot
- stereo speakers
- 48 Wh lithium-ion battery, removable
- 45 W mains charger with IEC C5 inlet
- 376 x 253 x 28.3–33.2 mm
- 2415 g
Build quality of E500 is great and battery life is as well, and the Intel’s chip looks fast and frugal.